Haiti Lab on the Web
This page is a work-in-progress - please check back often for more links. For undergraduate student projects, please click here.
- 19th-century Caribbean Cholera TimeMap + "Cholera in Haiti and Other Caribbean Regions, 19th Century," article in Emerging Infectious Diseases, a journal of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, co-authored by Deborah Jenson, Victoria Szabo, and the Haiti Lab Student Research Team [TimeMap link updated 2/13/13]
- Haiti: History Embedded in Amber: website for the Lab's collaborative art project with Edouard Duval-Carrié
- Haiti Digital Library / Bibliyiotèk Dijital Ayisyen / Bibliothèque Digital sur Haïti: A trilingual (English, Haitian Creole, French) guide and portal to online resources on Haitian history and writings by Haitian authors.
- Stories from Haiti/Istwa ki sot Ayiti: A collaborative, bilingual forum (in English and Haitian Creole), created by UNC Ph.D. student and Haiti Lab HASTAC Scholar Laura Wagner, featuring writings by members of the Konbit des Jeunes Penseurs (Gathering of Young Thinkers).
- [Video] Vodou song performance by Erol Josue (Feb 2011) - Part of a recently launched project to translate and study Vodou songs (more information, as well as the lyrics in Haitian creole and English can be found here)
Essays, Op-eds, Interviews
- A Look at Haiti, One Year Later, (Jan 25, 2011): An Interview between Laurent Dubois, Amy Wilentz, and Kathleen Dunn, Wisconsin Public Radio
- "Something to Laugh About: A Few Thoughts on Humor in Post-Earthquake," Laura Wagner (Jan 13, 2011): guest post at Savage Minds: Notes & Queries in Anthropology - A Group Blog
- "Hope, Horror in Haiti," Durham Herald-Sun (Jan 11, 2011): A reporter talks with Kathy Walmer and Deborah Jenson about Haiti a year after the earthquake
- [Video] "Aftershock: The Haiti Quake": The Agenda with Steve Paikin interview with Stephen Baranyi, Laurent Dubois, Alex Dupuy, Kevin Edmonds, Jonathan Papoulidis (Jan 11, 2011)
- [Video] "Haiti: Rebuilding an Image": Riz Khan Interview with Laurent Dubois, Edouard Duval-Carrié, Huguens Jean (Jan 11, 2011)
- [Audio] "Haiti's Election": Interview with Laurent Dubois on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) Radio (Nov 29, 2010): segment begins approximately 11 minutes into recording
- "Surviving Cholera, and Its Stigma," Deborah Jenson (Nov 17, 2010): op-ed in Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Raleigh News and Observer, Times of India
- "Cholera in the History of Haiti," Deborah Jenson (Nov 14, 2010): op-ed in Le Nouvelliste d'Haiti (in French)
- "Another Day, Another Crisis," Laura Wagner (Oct 28, 2010): op-ed in Miami Herald
- [Video] "Trauma in Theory and Culture in Haiti" (Oct 6, 2010): A panel discussion with Deborah Jenson, Allan Chrisman, Ben Reese, Kathy Walmer and Richard Weisier on the Haiti Lab's research project on PTSD incidence and cultural presentation in post-earthquake Leogane.
- [Video] "Global France: An Interview With Laurent Dubois," (Oct 2010): Conversation about Haiti, empire and the idea of a "Global France" on La Vie des Idées (in French)
- "The Haiti Story You Won't Read," Laura Wagner (Aug 3, 2010): in Salon, follow up to "Haiti: A Survivor's Story"
- "Reckoning in Haiti," Jean Casimir & Laurent Dubois (Feb 3, 2010): essay in the Social Science Research Council's Haiti: Now and Next web forum
- "Haiti: A Survivor's Story," Laura Wagner (Feb 1, 2010): essay in Salon
- "A New Course in Creole Prepares Students to Aid Haiti's Recovery," an interview with Deborah Jenson (Jan 27, 2010) The Chronicle of Higher Education
- [Video] "Big Think Interview with Laurent Dubois on Haitian History and Culture," (Jan 26, 2010) BigThink.com
- [Audio] "Earthquake Ravages Haiti: An Interview with Laurent Dubois, Jacqueline Charles, and Franz Neptune," (Jan 13, 2010) The Takeaway
- "The Political Thought of of Dessalines and Toussaint Louverture," Le Nouvelliste d'Haiti, March 9, 2011 (feature on Deborah Jenson's lectures at the State University of Haiti) (In French)
- "Mosaic of Culture and History: Haiti Lab Brings Together Various Disciplines to Solve a Nation's Problems," Gist from the Mill (Duke's social science magazine), Spring 2011
- "Danticat Relates Literary Response to Haiti Tragedy," Duke Chronicle, Feb 16, 2011
- "Humanities Head into the Lab," Duke News, Feb 9, 2011
- "Young Haitian writers look to the future," PRI's The World, Jan 31, 2011 (feature on Konbit des Jeunes Penseurs/Gathering of Young Thinkers).
- "Collaborating with students, Duval-Carrie visualizes Haiti," Duke Chronicle, Dec 9, 2010
- "A New Look for Haiti," Duke News, Dec 2, 2010
- "Duke Aids Haiti Recovery with Innovative Humanities Research Lab," Duke Global Health Institute, Sept 21, 2010
- "Duke Prof. Deborah Jenson Explores Role of Activism, Haitian Culture," Emory Wheel, Sept 20, 2010
- "The Haiti Lab: An Atypical Lab Aims to Understand the Country," The Chronicle, June 30, 2010
- [Video] Duke graduate student Julia Gaffield discovers only known original copy of Haitian Declaration of Independence, The Rachel Maddow Show, April 1, 2010
- "Duke Offers Creole Class for Haiti Relief Workers," WRAL, March 3, 2010
- [Audio] "The Haitian Revolution," Public Radio International's 'The World', Jan 29, 2010
- [Audio] "Haitian Creole Courses May Aid Recovery," NPR: Marketplace, Jan 28, 2010
- Beyond the Slave Narrative: Politics, Sex and Manuscripts in the Haitian Revolution (March 2011) - A new book by Haiti Lab co-director Deborah Jenson
- [Video] "Writing Tragedy, Writing Hope: Haitian Writers at Home and Abroad Respond to the January 12, 2010 Earthquake" (Feb 2011) - A lecture by Edwidge Danticat at the Haiti Lab
- [Video] Haiti Lab Linguist Jacques Pierre Presents a Kreyol Translation of the Haitian Declaration of Independence, 2010 Haitian Studies Association Conference (Nov 2010)
- [Video] Laurent Dubois Introduces the Haiti Lab, 2010 Haitian Studies Association Conference (Nov 2010)
- "Yon Sezon Matchyavel": Kreyol edition of Arthur Rimbaud's "Une Saison en Enfer," translated by Haiti Lab Linguist Jacques Pierre and Benjamin Hebblethwaite